- This program has passed.
Mount Wilson Observatory Paint/ Sculpt- Out: The Birthplace of Astrophysics
Wednesday, September 13 at 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
All RSVP, donations, and ticket sales help to ensure the California Art Club can continue to provide
quality programming to celebrate the heritage and practices of traditional fine arts worldwide. Thank You!
Plein Air Painting and Sculpting Highlights
• Beautiful vistas looking into the Los Angeles basin and San Gabriel Mountains
• Access to observatory grounds
• Location from where Albert Michelson made the first speed of light measurements from Mt. Wilson to Mt. San Antonio (adjacent to Mt. Baldy)
• Historic Monastery designed in 1910 by Myron Hunt for use as the astronomer’s dormitory has been visited by renowned scientists including Edwin Hubbell, Harlow Shapley, Albert Michelson, Walter Baade, and Albert Einstein!
• Access inside the telescope domes and more!
Artists will have a few more opportunities to create work on Mount Wilson through scheduled paint/sculpt-outs and the work created will culminate in a possible exhibition at the CAC Gallery at The Old Mill in 2024.
The California Art Club’s Cosmic Chapter was created by Club’s President Peter Adams on March 2021 in celebration of NASA/JPL’s Perseverance Mars Rover landing on February 18, 2021 as a vehicle to combine art and science. Chapter leaders include JPL Mars Rover Project Manager John Callas, Astronomer Laura Danly PhD, and fantasy artist William Stout.
For more information about this event, please contact the CAC at email@example.com