Early Los Angeles

Art Galleries, Clubs, Museums, Art Schools and Teachers

(A work in progress)

This section is designed to cover some of the venues, schools and organizations relative to California Art Club members and the early Los Angeles art community that they lived in.
[Sources include the two-volume Artists in California 1786 – 1940 by Edan Milton Hughes.]



ART GALLERIES/VENUES
& ARTISTS EXHIBITED
EXHIBIT DATE(S)
& NOTES
Ainslie
Gallery


Los Angeles, CA
 
Bischoff, Franz Arthur

(1864 – 1929)
Exhibited
in:
1926
Henry, Harry Raymond

(1882 – 1974)
1928
Redmond, Granville Richard Seymour

(1871 – 1935)
1933
American
Gallery
Los Angeles, CA
 
Adams,
Clinton

(1918-2002)
Exhibited
in:
1940
Barker
Brothers


818 West 7th Street
Los Angeles, CA
(pictured
above w/yellow wall sign and inset)
Notes: The
building, designed in 1925 in the Renaissance Revival style by
Curlett and Beelman, was said to have been inspired by the Strozzi
Palace in Florence.

Bailey, Harry Lewis

(1879 – 1933)
Exhibited
in:
1917
Bartlett, Dana

(1882 – 1957)
7th CAC President
1923
Barlow
Medical Library
Los Angeles, CA
 
Buff, Conrad

(1886 – 1975)
 
Bartlett
Gallery


Los Angeles, CA
 
Boehme, Hazel Fetterly

(1900 – 1941)
Exhibited
in:
1932
Battey
Gallery


Pasadena, CA
 
Balfour, Helen Johnston

(1847 – 1925)
Exhibited
in:
1914, 1918, 1920
Daniell, William Swift

(1865 – 1933)
1917
White, Orrin Augustine

(1883 – 1969)
Exhibited
in:
1916
Bentz
Gallery


Pasadena, CA
 
Brown, Benjamin Chambers

(1865 – 1942)
3rd CAC President
Exhibited
in:
1907, 1909
Beverly
Hills Art Gallery


Beverly Hills, CA
Notes: Opened in 1937 and owned by Thorwald Albertel Probst
Probst, Thorwald Albertel

(1886 – 1948)
 
Biltmore
Gallery/Salon

Located in the Biltmore Hotel
(pictured
above)

506 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA
Notes: The Biltmore Hotel was opened in 1923/24 by Frank Tenney Johnson (1874 – 1939) and Victor Clyde Forsythe (1885 – 1962).
Also called the Biltmore Galeria Real.
Brandriff, George Kennedy
(1890 – 1936)
Exhibited
in:
1929, 1933
Daniell, William Swift

(1865 – 1933)
1907
Gamble, John Marshall

(1863 – 1957)
1927
Reed,
Marjorie Jane
(1915 – 1996)
1937
Schaetzel,
May Conly

(1870 – 1952)
1942
Acker,
Herbert Van Blarcom

(1895 – 1977)
1925
Bischoff, Franz Arthur

(1864 – 1929)
1924
Rich, John Hubbard
(1876 – 1954)
18th CAC President
Exhibited
in:
1927
Blanchard
Music and Art Building

Located in Hotel Ivins
(pictured
above)

Tenth and Figueroa
Los Angeles, CA
Notes: Owned by Frederic[k] Winslow Blanchard (1878 – 1948); opened
in 1899. Taken over by W. S. Daniell (1865 – 1933) in 1912
and renamed The Daniell Gallery. (A Spring Exhibition for the Painters
Club of Los Angeles was planned here for May 1909, but was cancelled.)
1st
Exhibition of the Painters Club of Los Angeles


Exhibited
in:
Oct. 7 – 22, 1908
2nd
Exhibition of the Painters Club of Los Angeles
Exhibited in:
Last
two weeks of Nov. 1909
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th CAC Annuals

1911 (1st and 2nd) , 1912 (3rd) and 1913 (4th)
Black, John Matthew

(b. 1876)

1908,
1909
Braun, Maurice
(1877 – 1941)
1911
(Daniell Gallery)
Brown, Benjamin Chambers

(1865 – 1942)
3rd CAC President
1906,
1908
Rogers, Charles Albert

(1848 – 1918)
1911
Sauerwein,
Frank Paul

(1871 – 1910)
1906
Bradley
Gallery
Los Angeles, CA
Notes: Circa 1938
   
Brand Library and
Art Center
1601 West Mountain Street
Glendale, CA


(pictured
above)
Notes: The
original mansion was built by Leslie C. Brand and named El Miradero.
The design is similar to the East Indian Pavilion built for the 1893
Columbian World Exposition held in Chicago. The architecture is considered
Saracenic, with crenellated arches, bulbous domes and minars combining
characteristics of Spanish, Moorish, and Indian styles. In contrast
to the cool white exterior, a Victorian decor was followed inside.
Mr. Brand died in the house in 1925. He bequeathed El Miradero to
the city, although Mrs. Brand retained rights of residence until 1945.
The will provided that the property should be used exclusively for
a public park and library. Mrs. Brand died in 1945, and by 1956 the
mansion had been converted into Brand Library.
81st Annual CAC Gold Medal
Exhibition
1990
Bullock’s
Wilshire
3050 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
(pictured
above)
Notes: William Thomas Blackburn (1908 – 1993) served as art director
at Bullock’s during the 1940’s and 1950’s. (See Little Gallery,
below)
Hansen, Roberta Asseln

(1907 – 2003)
Exhibited
in:
1935 (solo)
Circle
Gallery
 
   
Dalzell
Hatfield Gallery

Located in the Ambassador Hotel
(pictured
above)

3400 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
Notes: Owned by Dalzell Harvey Hatfield (1893 – 1963).
Robinson,
Delia Mary
(1889 – 1952)
Exhibited
in:
1930 (solo)
Ebell
Club


743 South Lucerne Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA
(pictured
above)
 
Adams, Velma

(1902-1990)
Exhibited
in:
1939, 1948 (awards)
Alvarez, Mabel

(1891 – 1985)
1933-35
(awards)
Baxter, Martha Wheeler Wallace

(1869 – 1955)
1929
Beggs, Thomas Montague

(1899 – 1990)
1937
Bensco, Charles J.

(1894 – 1960)
1937
(prize)
Bischoff, Franz Arthur

(1864 – 1929)
1926
Bush, Ella Shepard
(1861 – 1948)
1924
(Minaitures prize)
Gaffney, Claribel

(1901- )
1933
(1st prize)
Gilbert, Arthur Hill

(1894 – 1970)
1924
Robinson, Irene

(1891 – 1973)
1932
(prize)
Ford, Smith, & Little Co.
313 Broadway
Los Angeles, CA
Notes: This small art store also had a gallery.
December Small Exhibition of the Painters’ Club of Los Angeles December 1-31, 1907
January Small Exhibition of the Painters’ Club of Los Angeles January 1-31, 1907
February Small Exhibition of the Painters’ Club of Los Angeles February 1-28, 1907
March Small Exhibition of the Painters’ Club of Los Angeles March 1-31, 1907
April Small Exhibition of the Painters’ Club of Los Angeles April 1-30, 1907
Glendale
Public Library
222 East Harvard Street
Glendale, CA
(Central
Library pictured
above)
Notes: Library services
in Glendale were first provided in 1906.
Hansen, Roberta Asseln

(1907 – 2003)
Exhibited
in:
1954 (1st prize), 1967 (solo)
Image
courtesy Pasadena Historical Museum
Grace
Nicholson Gallery


46 North Los Robles Avenue

Pasadena, CA
(pictured
above)
Notes: Grace
Nicholson’s Chinese House and Emporium (the Gallery)
became the Pasadena Museum of Art in 1941, and then subsequently the
Pacific Asia Museum.
Bennett, Ruth Manerva

(1899 – 1960)
Exhibited
in:
1928
Bonnet, Leon Durand

(1868 – 1936)
1930
(solo)
Dann, Katherine Skeele
(1896 – 1963)
Exhibited
in:
1927, 1928 (solos)
Greek
Theater
Located in Griffith Park
2700 North Vermont
Los Angeles, CA
(pictured
above)
Notes: Built in 1929 according to the plans of Griffith J. Griffith (who
also paid for the Griffith Observatory; he originally donated the
land for what is now Griffith Park, covering 3,000 acres).
CAC Annual Exhibitions

Various, between 1940-60
Attridge,
Irma Gertrude

(1894 – 1978)
1951
Bartlett, Dana

(1882 – 1957)
7th CAC President
1952,
1955 (medals)
Hansen, Roberta Asseln

(1907 – 2003)
Exhibited
in:
1958-59
Greene
Studio


Pasadena, CA
 
Rich, John Hubbard
(1876 – 1954)
18th CAC President
Exhibited
in:
1908
Hollyhock House
4800 Hollywood Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90027


(pictured above)

Notes: Designed by Frank
Lloyd Wright, this building became the CAC’s Headquarters for 15 years,
from 1927 to 1942, as a gift from owner Aline Barnsdall. The formal
opening and reception for the Club’s new location was on August 31,
1927, which included an exhibition of member’s work.
CAC
Opening Exhibition


May
1-31, 1927
photo courtesy of LA Public Library
Hollywood
Public Library
Hollywood, CA


(pictured
above)
Notes: Hollywood Branch Library, facing Hollywood Boulevard ca.
1923, and later in 1939 moved, remodeled & turned to face Ivar
Street. Destoyed in 1939.
Aldrin,
Anders Gustav

(1889 – 1970)
Exhibited
in:
1930 (solo)
Scheck,
Helen Mildred

(1901 -1983)
1927
Hotel
Green


99 South Raymond Avenue

Pasadena, CA
(pictured
above)
 
Balfour, Helen Johnston

(1847 – 1925)
Exhibited
in:
1913
Brown, Benjamin Chambers

(1865 – 1942)
3rd CAC President
1911
Kanst
Gallery
Eighth and Hill Streets


Los Angeles, CA
Notes: Owned by John F. Kanst, the gallery opened in 1911.
Allis,
C. Harry

(1870 – 1938)
Exhibited
in:
1912
Alvarez, Mabel

(1891-1985)
Jan. 1918
Balfour, Helen Johnston

(1847 – 1925)
1911,
1912
Brandriff, George Kennedy
(1890 – 1936)
1929
Braun, Maurice
(1877 – 1941)
1914-19
Frieseke, Frederick Carl
(1874 – 1939)
Dec.-Jan.
1912
Gamble, John Marshall

(1863 – 1957)
1910,
1912, 1916
Moran,
Paul Nimmo
(1864 – 1907)
 
Payne, Edgar Alwin

(1883 – 1947)
9th CAC President
 
Rea,
Louis Edward
(1868 – 1927)
1927,
1937
Redmond, Granville Richard Seymour

(1871 – 1935)
 
Sammann, Detlef

(1857-1938)
1916
Wachtel, Elmer

(1864 – 1929)
 
La
Brea Gallery
Los Angeles, CA
 
Schleussner,
Mary Elizabeth Jacques

(1881 – 1956)
Exhibited
in:
1931
Leonards

Los Angeles, CA

 
Gamble, John Marshall

(1863 – 1957)
1924
Little
Gallery

Located in Bullock’s Wilshire
(pictured
above)

3050 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
 
Little
Studio Gallery

Monrovia, CA
 
Dann, Katherine Skeele
(1896 – 1963)
Exhibited
in:
1930
Robinson,
Delia Mary
(1889 – 1952)
Exhibited
in:
1930 (solo)
Los
Angeles City Hall
200 North Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA
(pictured
above)
Notes
44th Annual CAC Exhibition The Tower
Gallery on the topmost floor of City Hall was possibly the location
that the Annual Exhibition was held in 1953 (and possibly
others).
Attridge,
Irma Gertrude

(1894 – 1978)
Exhibited
in:
1953, 1954
Los
Angeles County Museum of Art
(LACMA)
3400 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
(pictured
above)
Notes: Originally the Los Angeles Museum of History, Science and Art. In
1961 LACMA is established as a museum separate from the Museum of
Natural History. The new museum opens in 1965.
Barton, Loren Roberta

(1893 – 1975)
Exhibited
in:
1920 (with Mabel Alvarez and Paul Lauritz), 1923 (solo), 1926 (solo),
1928
Baxter, Martha Wheeler Wallace

(1869 – 1955)
1936
Bischoff, Franz Arthur

(1864 – 1929)
1913
Bjurman, Andrew

(1876 – 1943)
1924,
1927 (Hon. mentions)
Bowles, Caroline Hutchinson

(1865 – 1923)
1919
Brandt, Rexford Elson
(1914 – 2000)
1939,
1941 (solos)
Braun, Maurice
(1877 – 1941)
1918,
1920 (solos)
Brown, Benjamin Chambers

(1865 – 1942)
3rd CAC President
1915,
1917, 1918 (solos), 1929
Buff, Conrad

(1886 – 1975)
1923,
1929, 1937, 1940 (solos)
Gage, Robert Merrell

(1892 – 1981)
13th CAC President
1929,
1945 (solo)
Garnsey, Julian Ellsworth

(1887 – 1969)
11th CAC President
1931
Gleason, Joe Duncan

(1881 – 1959)
1924
(solo)
Los
Angeles Public Library
630 West 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA
(pictured
above)

Notes: Built
in 1926 by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, it is the second biggest library
in the country.
Attridge,
Irma Gertrude

(1894 – 1978)
Exhibited
in:
1943, 1946
Buff, Conrad

(1886 – 1975)
 
Scheck,
Helen Mildred

(1901 -1983)
1927
Marzon
Studio
Los Angeles, CA
Notes: Circa 1926
Mills
College Art Museum
Mills College
5000 MacArthur Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94613
Notes: Mills College was founded in 1852. The Art Gallery (now Art Museum) opened in 1925.
Nicholson Gallery – see Grace Nicholson Gallery.
Ohara
& Livermore Gallery
Pasadena, CA
 
Bowles, Caroline Hutchinson

(1865 – 1923)
Exhibited
in:
1916
Paul
Kantor Gallery


7025 Melrose Avenue

Los Angeles, CA 90038
(pictured
above)

Notes: Opened by Paul Kantor in 1951,
who is credited with discovering Richard Diebenkorn. The gallery is
still operating, now under the name Kantor/Feuer.
Perls
Gallery
8634 Sunset Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA
(pictured
above, photo courtesy of the Smithsonian Institution)
Notes: Owned by Frank Perls, opened late 1930’s.
The gallery carried works by Matisse and Lipchitz, among others.
Santa
Monica Public Library
601 Santa Monica Boulevard


Santa Monica, CA 90401
 
Barker, George, Jr.

(1882 – 1965)
Exhibited
in:
1931 (solo)
Sierra
Madre City Hall
232 West Sierra Madre Boulevard
Sierra Madre, CA 91024
 
Bush, Ella Shepard
(1861 – 1948)
Exhibited
in:
1930
Southby
Salon


121 N. Larchmont Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA
Notes: Owned by Maxwell A. Southby (1883-1953), late pastor of
the Rossmore Congregational Church. Opened in 1924 and ran through
about 1930.
Brandriff, George Kennedy
(1890 – 1936)
Exhibited
in:
1927
Lukits, Theodore Nicolai
(1897 – 1992)
(Exhibited/represented?)
Southwest Museum
234 Museum Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90065
(pictured
above)
Notes: Founded in 1907, it was the first museum in Los Angeles . The museum
moved from it’s original location in Downtown Los Angeles to its current
location in Mt. Washington in 1914.
Bjurman, Andrew

(1876 – 1943)
Exhibited
in:
1923 (popular prize)
Steckel
Galleries


Los Angeles, CA
 
Bailey, Harry Lewis

(1879 – 1933)
Exhibited
in:
1908
Borg, Carl Oscar

(1879 – 1947)
1906
Brown, Benjamin Chambers

(1865 – 1942)
3rd CAC President
1908
Daniell, William Swift

(1865 – 1933)
1911
Sauerwein,
Frank Paul

(1871 – 1910)
1906
Stendahl
Art Galleries

Located in the Ambassador Hotel
(pictured
above)

3400 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
Notes: Opened 1921 and owned by Earl Stendahl
Band, Max

(1900 – 1974)
Exhibited
in:
1941
Barney,
Alice Pike

(1857 – 1931)
1927,
1930
Bartlett, Dana

(1882 – 1957)
7th CAC President
1927
Barton, Loren Roberta

(1893 – 1975)
1923
Bischoff, Franz Arthur

(1864 – 1929)
1922
Buff, Conrad

(1886 – 1975)
1927,
1934
Gamble, John Marshall

(1863 – 1957)
1938
Gilbert, Arthur Hill

(1894 – 1970)
1926
Poray, Stanislaus Pociecha
(1888 – 1948)
1929,
1931, 1938 (solos)
Rose, Guy
(1867 – 1925)
1926
(solo)
Scardigli,
Remo

(1910 – 1984)
1937
Symons, George Gardner

(1861 – 1930)
1928
Stone
Galleries


Monrovia, CA
 
Buff, Conrad

(1886 – 1975)
Exhibited
in:
1927
Vysekal
Gallery


Hollywood, CA
 
Vysekal, Edouard Antonin

(1890 – 1939)
 
Vysekal, Luvena Buchana

(1873 – 1954)
Note: Luvena was the Gallery Director.
Webb
Gallery


Los Angeles, CA
 
Barker, Olive Ruth Carpenter

(1885 – 1961)
Exhibited
in:
1936
Wiltshire
Galleries


Los Angeles, CA
 
Sayre,
Fred Grayson

(1879 – 1939)
Exhibited
in:
1926
Zantman
Gallery


Los Angeles, CA
 
Aller,
Gladys

(1915 – 1970)
Exhibited
in:
1938 (solo)
Zeitlin’s

705 1/2 W. Sixth Street

Los Angeles, CA
Notes: Initially
opening as a bookstore in Echo Park, it was located there from 1926
to 1938 before moving to Sixth Street, where larger rooms allowed
for exhibition space. Owner Jake Zeitlin was friends with writers
Robinson Jeffers, Aldous Huxley, Thomas Mann and Henry Miller, as
well as locals Aline Barnsdall and Lloyd Wright, the son of FLW. The
photographer Edward Weston had his first exhibition at Zeitlin’s in
1928. Other early shows included Rockwell Kent, Paul Landacre, Peter
Krasnow and Millard Sheets.
Aller,
Gladys

(1915 – 1970)
Exhibited
in:
1938 (solo)
Buff, Conrad

(1886 – 1975)
1930
Robinson,
Delia Mary
(1889 – 1952)
1930

 




| Back to top

ART
CLUBS
NOTES
(listed in order of founding)
Ruskin
Art Club
Founded
1888
Friday
Morning Club
Founded
1891
Los
Angeles Art Association
Founded
1892 (originally founded in 1890 as the Sketch Club of the LA School
of Art and Design)
Ebell
Club
Founded
1894
USC
Fine Arts Dept.
Founded
1894
Society
of Fine Arts of Southern California
Founded
1895
Pasadena
Art Association
Founded
1896 (1911?)
Pasadena
Academy of Fine Arts
Founded
1897
Los
Angeles Arts and Crafts Society
Founded
1905
Painters’
Club of Los Angeles
Founded
March 1906 (disbanded and reformed as the CAC in 1909)
California Art Club Founded
December 1909
Women
Painters of California
Founded
1909
Los
Angeles Sketch Club
Founded
1911
California
Society of Miniature Painters
Founded
1912
Art
Students League of Los Angeles
Founded
circa 1913
Printmakers
of Los Angeles
Founded
1914 (by Benjamin C. Brown; it became Printmakers Society of California
in 1920)
The
Modern Art Society of Los Angeles
Founded
1916 (renamed California Progressives in 1919)
La
Jolla Art Association
Founded
1918
Laguna
Beach Art Ass’n
Founded
1918
Commercial
Artists Ass’n of Southern California
Founded
1918
Los
Angeles Print Group
Founded
1920
Hollywood
Art Ass’n
Founded
1920
Women’s
Art Club of Southern California
Founded
1921 (Laguna Beach)
West
Coast Arts, Inc.
Founded
1921 (later became Women Painters of the West in 1929)
Sculptor’s
Guild of Southern California
Founded
1921
California
Watercolor Society
Founded
1921
Glendale
Art Association
Founded
1922
Potboiler
Art Center of Los Angeles
Founded
1922
Painters
and Sculptors Club of Los Angeles
Founded
1923
Long
Beach Art Association
Founded
1923
Group
of Independents of Los Angeles
Founded
1923
Free
Lance Art Club of Los Angeles
Founded
1923 (became Los Angeles Art League in 1926)
Palos
Verdes Gallery
Founded
1923
Painters
of the West
Founded
1924 (Los Angeles)
Santa
Barbara Art Club
Founded
1924
Arts
and Crafts Society of Southern California
Founded
1924
Pasadena
Society of Artists
Founded
1925
Artland
Club
Founded
1925 (Los Angeles)
Commercial
Artists Club of Los Angeles
Founded
1925
Bookplate
Association International
Founded
1925 (Los Angeles)
International
Artists Club of Los Angeles
Founded
1926
Cartoonists
Club of Los Angeles
Founded
1926
Brea
Art Association
Founded
1926
Society
of California Desert Painters
Founded
1927
Pasadena
Society of Women Painters and Sculptors
Founded
1928
Los
Angeles Print Group
Founded
1928
Younger
Painters of Los Angeles
Founded
1928 (First exhibition held in 1929)
Santa
Monica Art League
Founded
1928
International
Artists Club of Los Angeles
Founded
1929
Long
Beach Businessman’s Sketch Club
Founded
1929 (Later became Spectrum Club)
Art
Student’s League of San Pedro
Founded
1929
California
Etchers Association
Founded
1929 (L.A. and S.F.)
Riverside
Art Association
Founded
1930
Palos
Verdes Art Association
Founded
1930
Foundation
of Western Art
Founded
1933
San
Gabriel Artists Guild
Founded
1933
Los
Angeles Negro Art Association
[Related article]
Founded
1937
Sierra
Madre Arts Guild
Formed
1938
Society
for Sanity in Art
Founded
1940 (Los Angeles branch)

 




| Back to top

ART
MUSEUMS
/NOTES
Bowers
Museum of Cultural Heritage

Constructed
1932 (Santa Ana)
Huntington
Art Gallery and Library

Founded
1928 (San Marino)
Los
Angeles County Museum of Art
(LACMA)
Opened
1965

Los
Angeles Museum of History Science and Art
Founded
1913 (Exposition Park)

In 1961 it split into two separate entities: L.A.’s Natural History Museum and LACMA.

Pasadena
Art Institute
Founded
1922 (Pasadena)

Incorporated 1924. Absorbed the Pasadena Museum of Art in
1942, and in 1954 became the Pasadena Art Museum. In 1973 the name
changed to the Pasadena Museum of Modern Art. In 1974 it encountered
financial problems; after reaching an agreement with Norton Simon
in 1974, it reopened in 1975 as the Norton Simon Museum of Art at
Pasadena.

Pasadena Historical Society
Founded
1924 (Pasadena)

Founded as the Pasadena Historical Society, it was later known as the Pasadena Historical Museum until it changed to the Pasadena Museum of History in 2001. Since 1970, the Museum has been headquartered on the grounds of the Fenyes Estate.


Image courtesy Pasadena Historical Museum

Pasadena
Museum of Art

Founded
1941 (Pasadena)

Merged with the Pasadena Art Institute in 1942; see entry above. Pictured at right in 1962 in the Grace Nicholson Galleries (now the Pacific Asia Museum).


Image courtesy Pasadena Historical Museum
Santa
Barbara Museum of Art

Opened
1941 (Santa Barbara)

Southwest
Museum

Founded
1914 (Los Angeles)

Founded by Charles Fletcher Lummis.

 





| Back to top

THE
BLANCHARD BUILDING
(Located in Hotel Ivins, 10th & Figueroa Streets, pictured above)
NOTES
Artists
who had studios in the Blanchard Building:
Bischoff, Franz Arthur
(1864 – 1929)
 
Burton, Elizabeth Eaton
(1869 – 1937)
During 1909
Mannheim, Jean
(1863 – 1945)
 
Morin,
Gertrude Elder
(1860 – 1941)
Settled
in L.A. in 1897
Artists
who exhibited in the Blanchard Building:
Sammann, Detlef
(1857 – 1938)
During
1910
FOSTER
& KLEISER BILLBOARD CO.
NOTES
Artists
who worked with –
Armitage,
Arnold H.
(1899 – 1991)
Worked
in 1926
Asanger,
Jacob
(1887 – 1941)
Worked
from about 1925-41 when he died.
Porter,
Mildred Sophie
(1904 – 1996)
Worked
for them only briefly
Puthuff, Hanson Duvall
(1875 – 1972)
Worked
for 23 years




| Back to top

ART
SCHOOLS, INSTRUCTORS
& STUDENTS
NOTES

Art
Center School
West Seventh Street
Los Angeles, CA

Notes: The school
was founded in 1930 on West Seventh St. in Los Angeles, then moved to Third St. in Hancock Park (mid-1940’s) before moving to its current location in Pasadena in 1976. In 1965 it became Art Center College of Design.
Adams,
Edward A. "Tink"
School Founder
Henninger, Joseph Morgan
(1906 – 1999)
32nd CAC President
 
Reckless,
Stanley Laurence
(1892 – 1955)
Served
as Director
Schoppe,
Palmer
(1912 – 2001)
Taught
1945-53
Art
Students League of Los Angeles
Notes: Founded
circa 1913 in Los Angeles.
Anderson, Antony E.
(1863 – 1939)
School CoFounder
MacDonald-Wright,
Stanton
(1890 – 1973)
Director and Teacher in 1923
Murphy, Lawrence M.
(1872 – 1947)
 
Puthuff, Hanson Duvall
(1875 – 1972)
School
CoFounder
Slinkard,
Rex
(1887 – 1918)
 
Art
Teachers’ Ass’n of Southern California
Notes: Founded 1917
Batchelder
School of Design and Handicraft
Notes: Founded
1909 in Pasadena.
Batchelder,
Ernest Allan
(1875 – 1957)
School
Founder
Chouinard, Nelbert Murphy
(1879 – 1969)
 
Business
Mens Art Institute
(pictured
above, unknown location)
Notes: Founded in 1928, BMAI is currently located
at 2228 Florencita, Montrose, California.
California
Graduate School of Design
Notes: Founded
1937 in Pasadena.
Cannon
Art School
Notes: Founded
1909 in Los Angeles.
Harris, Sam Hyde
(1889 – 1977)
Sam Harris studied at the Cannon Art School as a teenager.
Chouinard
School of Art
(pictured
above, unknown painting)

Notes: Founded
1921 in Los Angeles.
Barton, Loren Roberta
(1893 – 1975)
 
Beaumont, Arthur Edwaine
(1890 – 1978)
 
Chamberlin, Frank Tolles
(1873-1961)
 
Chouinard, Nelbert Murphy
(1879 – 1969)
School
Founder
Craig,
Thomas Theodore
(1909 – 1969)
 
Dike, Philip Latimer
(1906 – 1990)
 
Douglas,
Haldane
(1893 – 1980)
Taught
after 1928
Gage, Robert Merrell
(1892 – 1981)
13th CAC President
Taught
sculpture 1928-30
Hansen, Ejnar
(1884 – 1965)
 
Hinkle, Clarence Keiser
(1880 – 1960)
 
Lauritz, Paul
(1889 – 1975)
17th CAC President
 
MacDonald-Wright,
Stanton
(1890 – 1973)
Taught
in 1923
Manbert, R. Barton
(1876 – 1945)
Taught
1929-30
Mayhew, Nell Cole Danely Brooker
(1875 – 1940)
 
Miller, Barse
(1904 – 1973)
Taught
after 1924
Munsell, Richard
(1903 – 1963)
Taught
painting during the 1930’s
Murphy, Lawrence M.
(1872 – 1947)
Taught
from 1926-47
Nielson, Harry A.
(1882 – 1952)
Watercolor
Potter,
William R. R.
(n. d.)
Taught
during the 1930’s
Reckless,
Stanley Laurence
(1892 – 1955)
 
Ryman, Herbert Dickens
(1910 – 1989)
30th CAC President
Taught
1938-41
Schoppe,
Palmer
(1912 – 2001)
Taught
1935-42
Sheets, Millard Owen
(1907 – 1989)
Taught
from 1929-34 and 1948
Smith, John Francis
(1868 – 1941)
CalArts
Sprenkle, Arthur George
(1881 – 1940)
Taught during the 1930’s, until his death in 1940.
Claremont
College Art Dept.
Notes: Founded 1925
Currier
Creative Art School
Notes:
Founded 1926 in Santa Monica.
Currier, Walter Barron
(1879 – 1934)
School
Founder
Hollywood
Art Center School
Notes: Founded
1926
Lion, Henry
(1900 – 1966)
Taught
sculpture
Lovins, Henry E.
(1883 – 1960)
School
Founder and Director
John
Muir College
 
Hansen, Ejnar
(1884 – 1965)
 
Los
Angeles School of Art and Design
Notes: Founded 1887 in Los Angeles.
Bond,
Mrs. J. Dalton
(n.d.)
School CoFounder
DuMond, Frederick Melville
(1867 – 1927)
Moved
to CA and taught after 1910; brother of Frank Vincent DuMond.
MacLeod, Louise Elizabeth Garden
(1857 – 1944)
School
CoFounder
Lukits
Academy
 
Lukits, Theodore Nicolai
(1897 – 1992)
School
Founder
Manual
Arts School
 
Clark, Emelia M. Goldworthy
(1869 – 1955)
Taught
1914-1924 (Later founded her own school.)
Schwankovsky, Frederick John de St. Vrain
(1885 – 1974)
Head
of the Art Dept. from 1919-47
Occidental
College Art Department
Notes: Founded 1912.
Otis
Art Institute
9045 Lincoln Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Notes: Founded
1918 in Los Angeles; it became Otis College of Art and Design in 1991.
Burnham, Roger Noble
(1876 – 1962)
 
Delano, Annita
(1894 – 1979)
 
Chouinard, Nelbert Murphy
(1879 – 1969)
 
Coolidge, John Earle
(1882 – 1947)
 
Hansen, Ejnar
(1884 – 1965)
 
Lauritz, Paul
(1889 – 1975)
17th CAC President
 
Quinn,
Noel Joseph
(1915 – 1993)
Taught
around the time of WWII.
Rich, John Hubbard
(1876 – 1954)
18th CAC President
Taught
for 28 years
Schuster, Donna Norine
(1883 – 1953)
Taught
during the 1920’s
Sheets, Millard Owen
(1907 – 1989)
Director
for six years
Shrader, Edwin Roscoe
(1878 – 1960)
8th, 10th, and 14th CAC President
 
Vysekal, Edouard
(1890 – 1939)
 
Pasadena
Art Institute
Pasadena, CA
Notes: Founded
1922 and incorporated 1924.
Zimmerman, Frederick Almond
(1886 – 1974)
 
Pasadena
School of Fine Arts
Pasadena, CA
 
Hansen, Ejnar
(1884 – 1965)
 
Pomona
College
333 North College Way
Claremont, CA 91711
Notes: Incorporated
1887, opened 1888 in Pomona. The following year it relocated to Claremont,
but retained the Pomona name.
Hansen, Ejnar
(1884 – 1965)
 
Jurecka, Cyril
(1884 – 1959)
 
School
of Illustration and Painting
Los Angeles, CA
Notes: Founded
1914 in Los Angeles.
Cahill, William V.
(1878 – 1924)
School
Founder
Rich, John Hubbard
(1876 – 1954)
18th CAC President
School
Founder
Smith, John Francis
(1868 – 1941)
School Founder
Scripps
College Art Department
Scripps College
1030 Columbia Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711
Notes: Founded 1928
Stickney
Art Institute
Corner of N. Fair Oaks and Lincoln Ave.
Pasadena, CA

(Stickney Memorial pictured above)

Notes: Originally built in 1897 by Susan Homer Stickney in memory of her sister. Became known as Stickney Hall around 1912 [or 1913]. In 1934 the original building was razed and a new building, the Stickney Memorial of Art, was built at Carmelita Gardens (Colorado Blvd. and Orange Grove) under the auspices of the Pasadena Art Institute. Eventually became the Norton Simon Museum (see entry above). [Pasadena Star-News, May 18, 1934]
Brooks, Mildred Taught around 1934
Buff, Conrad
(1886 – 1975)
 
Clark, Alson Skinner
(1876 – 1949)
 
Feitelson, Lorser
(1898 – 1978)
 
Hansen, Ejnar
(1884 – 1965)
Taught around 1934
Little, Portia Taught around 1934
Lloyd, Lucile
(1894 – 1941)
Director
1921-22
Mannheim, Jean
(1863 – 1945)
School
Founder
McLean, Grace Taught around 1934
Miller, Richard Emil
(1875 – 1943)
 
Miller, Ruth Blanchard
(1904 – )
Taught
portraiture after 1922
Murphy, Laurence
(1872 – 1947)
Taught around 1934
Rose, Guy
(1867 – 1925)
Director
(1914) and teacher
Throop
University
Pasadena, CA
Notes: Founded in Pasadena in 1891. Beginning as Throop University
(1891-1892), its name was changed to Throop Polytechnic Institute
(1893-1912) and then to Throop College of Technology (1913-1919) before
becoming Caltech.
Batchelder,
Ernest Allan
(1875 – 1957)
Joined
the Department of Art and Crafts in 1902.
Chouinard, Nelbert Murphy
(1879 – 1969)
 
U.C.L.A.
Department of Art
Notes: Founded
1919 in Los Angeles. Previously the Los Angeles State Normal School.
Hazen, Bessie Ella
(1862 – 1946)
 
Delano, Annita
(1894 – 1979)
 
MacDonald-Wright,
Stanton
(1890 – 1973)
Taught
1942-54
May, Beulah
(1883 – 1959)
Taught
from 1921
McPhail,
Annie Christine Belle
(1898 – 1985)
Taught
for 40 years
Morris, Adelaide
(1881 – 1974)
Taught
until 1938
Murphy, Lawrence M.
(1872 – 1947)
 
U.S.C. School of Art and Architecture
Notes: U.S.C. is founded
1880 in Los Angeles; the school of Architecture and Art is founded in 1925.
Gage, Robert Merrell
(1892 – 1981)
13th CAC President
Taught
sculpture 1925-58
Mayhew, Nell Cole Danely Brooker
(1875 – 1940)
 
Rich, John Hubbard
(1876 – 1954)
18th CAC President
 
Sample, Paul Starrett
(1896 – 1974)
12th CAC President
Taught
from 1926-36
Schoppe,
Palmer
(1912 – 2001)
Taught
in the Film Dept. 1954-76
Waggoner, Elizabeth
(n.d.)
Established the Crafts Dept. in 1908
USC
College of Fine Arts, Garvanza
Notes: Founded
1901 in Los Angeles. Garvanza
was located within the area of Highland Park.
Ellis, Clyde Garfield
(1879 – 1970)
 
Judson, William Lees
(1842 – 1928)
Established the College of Fine Arts
Von
Schneidau School of Fine Art
Notes: Founded
1917
Von Schneidau, Christian
(1893 – 1976)
School Founder

Connect & Share

Share & Connect
Join our mailing list!